Feel free to reply to my thoughts, experiences, and whatever comes out of this head of mine. blah blah blah

Friday, January 29, 2010

Goin to the Games!

I made the Olympic team! Im pretty fired up right now! I came into the season with no expectations and not really thinking I was going to make the team because of the depth of our Downhill squad. My season started off slow but it has been picking up as it goes on and my knees have been feeling better and better. I feel like I have a lot better muscle control and strength.

I last wrote about Val Gardena and Bormio. Since then I have raced the two biggest races of the season, Wengen and Kitzbuhel! These two races attract over 50,000 people each. There is a wild energy in the air and there is so much history in those races. I enjoy seeing the history of them and the progression the sport has seen over the years.
Wengen was looking to be a break through for me. I had a couple good training runs placing 14th and 9th. And on race day I had a couple big mistakes and ended up 21st. But I was pleased with my performance. I had some good splits and glimpses of greatness.
Then came Kitzbuhel. Kitz is the most intimidating course on tour. Right out of the gate you hit 50mph within 3 seconds and are hitting big jumps compressions and long fallaways all within the first 30 seconds. Then you hit a flat cat track and just glide for 15 seconds followed but a big jump then you get right back into the action again. Twisting, turning, and jumping until you hit the Hausberg! The Hausberg is covered by a big Red bull arch and you launch off of that onto the final sidehill into the finish where 50,000 people are waiting. This final section is the most intimidating part of the race. You are carrying massive speed into a compression turn that then launches you into the side hill. It takes guts to ski well and fast here.
This year I was 24th here which was disappointing but I was happy with my splits. I was fast in the tough sections. 5th on the bottom and 11th up top so I was happy with that and i had some fast speed traps.
I am now home. Trying to kick a head cold and get ready for our training camp from the 2nd to the 7th in Park City. Then we head up to Vancouver. Hopefully I will update you on my status before then.
Adios
Steven