Feel free to reply to my thoughts, experiences, and whatever comes out of this head of mine. blah blah blah

Monday, June 22, 2009

WasSUP Race

I have been a little sluggish with the blog posts.  Sorry about that.  This is a little delayed news.  A little over a week ago I received a call from a rando number and thy invited m to a Stand up Paddle (SUP) race at Deer Creek.  The first ever for the Utah summer games.  It was a lot of fun and there was a great turn out, around 25 people.  I didn't know so many people enjoyed paddling at an extremely slow speed across flat water.  Because whenever I load my board on my car and drive to the lake I get tons of looks from the local farm and red neck folk.  
The race only had two classes, Men and Women.  We had everyone from first timers to pros there.  The course was 1.5 miles which is considered a sprint!  It didn't feel like it to me.  We all started at a good clip and hung together for a bit then people started spreading out.  Long story short.  I ended up getting 3rd a board length behind Eric Schlopy and we were about 200 yards behind this pro guy who had a race board but was wicked fast.   We ended up figuring out he was top 5 in the world in SUP racing.   I wish I remember is name.  But he lives in Eden and California and bounces back and forth between the two.  
I'm just rambling so click here for some shots and I also think someone tagged me on my face book with some more.    SUP PHOTOS
Also check out the shots of the event that followed.  As the SUP race ended the sailing race started.  The boats got half way down the lake and a huge storm blew through.  I MEAN NASTY!  I felt like Lieutenant Dan in Forest Gump watching this thing.  The sail boats couldn't get off the lake in time and 15 boats capsized.  But luckily nobody was hurt.  I think thy have to re hold the Utah Summer Games Sail Boat race!