Feel free to reply to my thoughts, experiences, and whatever comes out of this head of mine. blah blah blah

Monday, March 24, 2008

Years End

Oh yeah and my little brother is breaking Nyman records.  He's the first of the Nyman boys to attend prom.  Big up to ya Sam


The season ended a little earlier for me.  In January I compressed my L4 and L5 disc which left me looking like a 2x4.  I could barely bend 5 degrees at the waist.  At the moment I thought my season was done but fortunately I met a guru in Austria who helped me through acupuncture and he got me back running by Val DiSere.  
I was a little bummed to miss Marco's first win in Chamnoix, but I was more bummed to miss the race itself because I had only raced it once and I felt incredibly comfortable there.  It was a cool experience when I was there.  I was talking to Marco in 2006 telling him how good I felt.  He said he felt the same.  We were both aching to get back there and show our stuff.  And Marco did that.  The kid had a good year.  I'm stoked for him.  Hopefully we can combine our energy and push each other to new levels and shoot for the Downhill title next season.  
Right now I feel I have to get healthy.  So I took Nationals off to get everything in line for the summer training schedule.  The best thing for a back is to simply give it rest.  Right now I am looking at several different things to speed up the recovery process mainly traction, maybe some injections, but lots of stretching and rest.  
I'm using my time wisely though.  Yesterday I went up to my old stomping grounds and hung out with the local ski kids.  They had a parents vs. kids race day followed by a BBQ.  While roasting some dogs covered in relish and mustard I signed some posters and cards, gave out Believe in Steven pins and Speedfreak stickers.  I'm proud to say Sundance has some good little shredders.  Surprisingly the little resort has seen some good racers go through it.  From what I can calculate it has produced 3+ US Ski Team Racers, Me, Erik Fisher and Elisha Stephens.  We all weren't solely based there but we put in our time at the resort then moved to bigger programs as we progressed.  If we look back further I think we can add several names to that list.  A lot of the old Utah Skiing history came from Sundance (formerly known as Timphaven).  I recommend checking the place out if your ever in Utah.  
I hope you enjoyed my Utah ski history.
Have a good spring and go for it in the final races!
Congrats to Donkey, Jimmy Jamma, Cookie and Vonn for winning Nationals.  Also to Freedog for the comeback!
Steven